Teaching in W.A. Schools

How can I get a job in a Western Australian school?

TESOL teachers work in a variety of Western Australian primary schools, high schools and Intensive English Centers. Schools in Western Australia are run by three different sectors, DoE, AISWA and CEO. Teaching in schools in WA requires a Bachelor’s degree in education with relevant major or a Bachelor’s degree with relevant major plus a Diploma in Education. In addition to these qualifications, intending ESL teachers need a post-graduate TESOL certificate or diploma (if TESOL method was not part of the degree or Dip. Ed.). All teachers in Western Australian schools must also be registered with the Teacher’s Registration Board of WA and adhere to the AITSL teaching standards.

To gain an idea of job prospects in WA, look at job advertisements at sites such as http://www.adzuna.com.au/ or http://www.seek.com.au  or in the press.

Which universities teach TESOL in WA?

TESOL can be studied as part of an undergraduate degree in education. Contact Education faculties at universities for more details:

Edith Cowan University: offers four types of TESOL degrees: Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary: TESOL minor); Graduate Certificate of Education (TESOL); Master of Applied LinguisticsMaster of Education (TESOL)

University of Western Australia

Curtin University

Which course is the best?

We are not able to recommend any particular course or institution but suggest that initial enquiries be made to universities which teach TESOL.

For information on what qualifications and experience are required to teach in accredited ELT centres and requirements for teaching the AMEP, please check the website of the National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme Limited (NEAS): http://www.neas.org.au/teachers/.

2 thoughts to “Teaching in W.A. Schools”

  1. Hi. Last year I completed my masters of education TESOL. I am currently teaching but it is in the Lote department and after completing my TESOL course I really hoped to have a change in my career direction. Thus far I have found only one TESOL job opportunity. I reached the interview stage but that was as far as it went.
    I am just wondering if you have any advice for finding a job in the TESOL arena as the longer I stay out of thr area the more I fear that my skills will become out dated.
    Any advice on current job opportunities and where to find them would be most appreciated as well as any pd you recommend to help keep my knowledge current.
    Thank you so much. Kindest regards Sam.

  2. Hi Sam, have you also thought about teaching in AMEP? Apparently, the AMEP sector has faced a shortage of qualified ESOL teachers. Below is the recruitment info:

    ****AMEP Teachers Wanted in Perth!****
    Are you interested in teaching in the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) in Perth? If you have a teaching degree, a postgraduate certificate in TESOL, and a Cert IV in Training and Assessment (which can be completed through TAFE), please contact Thornlie Reception on 9267 7609 or amep@smtafe.wa.edu.au. Campuses include Thornlie, Armadale, Carlisle, Murdoch and Rockingham. North Metro TAFE also need Teachers.

Leave a Reply